This year the world was talking, or should we say tweeting. The social media giant, Twitter, released this year’s list of the ten most talked about topics on their platform this year by looking at the volume of conversation surrounding certain topics.
1. #BlackLivesMatter emerged as one of the most powerful social movements in 2015.
2. #PrayForParis and #JeSuisCharlie became global cries for solidarity after terrorist attacks in Paris.
3. #HomeToVote and #LoveWins signified international support for and celebration of marriage equality.
4. #RefugeesWelcome became a top trending hashtag for people from the Middle East seeking refuge in Europe
5. As the world learned about a 14-year-old detained at his school in Texas, #IStandWithAhmed sparked a significant conversation on profiling and discrimination.
6. National elections in Argentina, Canada, Singapore, India, and the UK dominated the civic conversation
7. Fans around the world cheered on the best women in soccer during the #FIFAWWC.
8. The #PlutoFlyby captured massive attention and curiosity of Earthlings.
9. One dress, seen two different ways, caused heads to explode.
10. Caitlyn Jenner’s new Twitter account became the fastest to reach a million followers.