Here’s a fresh recipe that combines some last-days-of-summer fun, a bit of heat, and a whole lot of freshness. The recipe comes from Chris Santos at the Beauty & Essex in Las Vegas. Find out more about Chef Santos over at Passport magazine online.
(6 – 8 people)
Chile Salt (mix all ingredients well together)
1 tsp chipotle powder
1 tbsp chilio powder
1 tbsp Paprika
1/8 cup sugar in the raw
1/8 cup salt
Mexican style charred Corn Salad
Charred corn (2 ears charred quickly on the grill and then cut off the cobb)
1/4 tsp chipotles in adobo seasoning
2 limes (zest + juice) juice, olive oil, agave syrup (to have on hand)
cilantro, chopped 1/2 bunch
Piquillo Pepper, 1 can small diced
cotija cheese + microplane
chile salt (recipe above)
Sautee corn with table spoon of butter, add piquillo, chipotle, cilantro and lime zest and juice, season with chile salt, finish with cotija cheese.
– microplane queso fresco, lay on silpat (nonstick pat on a half sheet tray), bake at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes until golden brown.
Chipotle Lime Mayo (mix all ingredients together)
1 bottle kewpie mayonnaise
1 cup hellmans
2 tsp chile salt
1/2 tsp chipotle powder
1 tsp adobo from chipotles
1 lime juice and zest
Baby Cilantro garnish
Method of pickup:
1. Season Scallops with chile salt
2. Pan sear scallops in a non stick pan
3. Baste scallops with butter
4. Sautee Corn Salad
5. Begin to plate the dish.
6. Place 6-8 dollops of the chipotle lime mayonnaise on a long plate
7. Place sauteed corn on top of the dollops of chipotle lime mayonnaise.
8. Top corn with the seared scallops
9. Garnish with crumbled queso frico and baby cilantro.