Here are some highlights from last nights historic elections:
- Massachusetts voters voted to uphold a Massachusetts’ transgender nondiscrimination law and protect transgender people from discrimination in public places.
- The first openly gay man elected as governor in the United States, Jared Polis, won in Colorado defeating Republican Walker Stapleton.
- Kim Davis, the Kentucky County clerk who spent jail time for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses, has lost her seat.
- The first Native American women ever were elected to Congress, Sharice Davids and Deb Haaland, with Davids identifying as a lesbian.
- Two transgender women, Gerri Cannon and Lisa Bunker, were elected to the New Hampshire House of Representatives.
- The first Muslim woman has been elected to Congress from Minnesota Ilhan Omar.
- Lesbian Angie Craig won in Minnesota becoming first openly gay person elected to Congress from the state.
- Chris Pappas becomes New Hampshire’s first openly gay member of Congress.
- Kate Brown, the country’s first lesbian governor, and Tammy Baldwin, the first LGBTQ senator, were both re-elected.