Gender Odyssey/Los Angeles is a two-day conference for professionals seeking to advance their understanding of gender diversity and transgender identities in children, teens, and adults. As visibility for the transgender community increases and legislative attacks as well as a serious climate of discrimination and prejudice persist, GoPro Los Angeles could not be more timely. Leading experts will offer sessions covering gender identity across the lifespan and life experience. Programming is targeted toward medical and behavioral health care providers, teachers and school administrators, social workers, care givers, service providers, fiduciaries, guardians, attorneys, employers and recruiters, government employees, and students preparing for these professions.
Featured speakers and events will include:
· An evening networking mixer for professionals in attendance;
· Keynote by mom Michelle Honda-Phillips and grandfather Mike Honda (former US Rep from Hawaii), a family raising a transgender child
· A State of the Movement panel, featuring: Kris Hayashi, executive director of the Transgender Law Center; Bamby Salcedo, Latina transgender speaker and activist; Chandi Moore, trans health advocate and media personality; and additional speakers to be announced;
· Medical related presentations and discussions ranging from assessment of trans youth to “Trans Medical 101,” to the latest in medical research and practice;
· Workshops on a range of education-related issues including how to create welcoming school environment, trans-themed books for children and navigating anti-trans bias in school;
· A panel of teens, “Tales from the Front,” giving voice to the personal experiences of trans youth; and
· Several panels that address the diversity of trans communities, including Two Spirit culture, Latino, immigrant, elder and disabilities.
· Catered lunches, receptions, and networking opportunities